The RequirementsTo be a good fit for the Customer Service Operations Specialist opportunity you should have:
- A high school diploma or equivalent; some college is preferred.
- Experience in a customer-facing role, such as customer service, sales support, order processing/fulfillment, inside sales, etc.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills (by phone and email), with the ability to understand questions, find the answers, and respond with clarity and precision.
- The ability to develop solid knowledge of products and their applications.
- Some degree of computer savvy, with the ability to learn new programs and platforms, and to effectively manage an email inbox.
- The ability to read customers and understand the situation behind the words.
- Strong problem-solving skills with a resourceful attitude and creativity, the ability to trace a problem to the root cause, and consistent follow-through.
- A passion for customer service and willingness to go the extra mile.
- The ability to achieve goals and make decisions autonomously.
- A strong sense of ownership, accountability, and self-motivation.
- A high level of professionalism, including the ability to remain cool under pressure.
- High attention to detail, and the desire to take care and get orders exactly right.
- The ability to learn quickly when facing new problems, including an openness to change to meet challenges and unfamiliar tasks.
- The ability to handle uncertainty well, and to decide and act without having the total picture.
The RoleReporting to the Operations Manager, you will provide post-sales operations support and service to customers. You will work directly with customers in the construction industry to handle returns, order issues, credits and more, ensuring we meet and exceed expectations, even when there are problems. You’ll also complete any operations tasks as needed to support the company, though they may not be explicitly listed in your job description. In fact, the right fit for this role is someone who takes initiative and is great at self-management, and who has the initiative to solve problems and keep projects moving.
An important point to keep in mind: Often you will talk with customers who are at noisy, busy construction sites. They may have people standing idle until the right product is delivered, and that puts them under tremendous pressure. Your goal will be to ensure PowerPak helps them solve their problems, regardless of who caused them.
Your responsibilities will fall into the following areas. While each may seem simple, many situations can be complex.
In the area of handling customer returns, you will dig down to understand the issue -- Is the item no longer needed? Is the product unsatisfactory? You then will arrange for the items to be picked up.
Resolving customer issues will include responding to short ships, incorrect products, etc. Again, you'll probe to identify the issues, ensure you understand what the customer wants, and arrange for a solution, such as delivering additional items, or delivering correct items and picking up incorrect ones.
With regard to backorders, you will receive an email alert from our system, and your first steps will be to investigate the situation. You might go to the warehouse (same building) to double-check inventory or look for alternatives to offer. You'll also get information about lead times for backordered products. Then you'll reach out to the customer, present the options, and coordinate the resolution.
Handling customer credits is part of the return process, and also will involve a little investigating. You will review invoices and proof of delivery to validate the request. We're happy to offer no-hassle credits when appropriate. In these efforts you'll work with the Finance department.
In the area of reporting, you will track issues, identify the cause, and share the information in a meaningful, constructive way with the team. With our cultural emphasis on accountability, this will help us identify areas where we can improve.
You'll also do some other operations tasks, including taking incoming calls to process sales orders, do online order entry through our computer system, and complete any project-related work as needed. You’ll also complete reports to prepare for, and then conduct a weekly meeting where you’ll present the report to five other employees.
Pictured: What other company includes FREE cookies with EVERY order?
What's in It for YouImportant role
Everyone at PowerPak is responsible for and committed to exceptional customer service. It's built into our business model and it helps set us apart from the competition. This position, in particular, will put you front-and-center in ensuring we deliver on that commitment.
Maximize your potential
Of course you will learn about our business and gain insights into the construction industry. But we're also proactive about helping people identify and build on their strengths in order to reach their professional and personal potential. As we grow we may need to bring on a second customer service rep, in which case you might take on a lead or supervisory role. Down the road you might set your sights on other opportunities within PowerPak.
Unique pro-employee environment
We understand that a great culture is essential to success, and we're proactive about ensuring that people love working here. You'll find a close-knit, family-like atmosphere along with a strong shared commitment to PowerPak goals. We reward people with perks like providing free breakfast and lunch every day. We're in the process of remodeling our office, and by the end of the second quarter of 2017, it will be all new and ultra-modern. We know -- everyone says they have a great culture, but once you've spent any time here, you'll know it's true.
No two days the same
The people who thrive here enjoy the fast pace and the fact that things are constantly changing. We hire competent people, empower them to excel, and then count on them to self-manage. You can look forward to a steady stream of diverse activities and interesting challenges.
Now -- that's service
Some of the things that give PowerPak an edge: Peace of mind with every order, because every item is in stock Free cookies with every order 5% price guarantee: we'll beat any competitor's published price by 5% Free delivery to the jobsite, via our own fleet of delivery vans Fast turnaround: Order by 10 AM, receive by 4 PM; order by 4 PM, receive by 10 AM the next day.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer full benefits, including medical, dental and vision insurance, and an optional retirement plan.
Pictured: Our customers know they can depend on us to have what they need, in stock, today.
Keys to SuccessThis is a busy, fast-paced role that will require a variety of skills. The work is very do-able, although the pressure often builds. You will need a calm, professional approach at all times, even when a customer is demanding or angry. You'll need to be able to get the facts without letting yourself get upset. It helps if you keep in mind the pressure they are under, and that you are there to provide a solution.
The more important skills include:
- The ability to self-manage. You should be resourceful and comfortable making sound decisions on your own. You'll never get into trouble for choosing to do what's right for the customer.
- The ability to read customers and understand their situation. Some may call this "street smarts." Sometimes the customer doesn't know what they need, so you'll help them pin it down.
- The analytical acumen of a detective. In many cases a customer may believe one thing, but once you've done some investigating you'll find that the situation is actually different.
- Willingness to be highly accountable. Rather than trying to hide a mistake, you'll bring it to the Operations Manager for help in setting things right.
About UsPowerPak Civil & Safety has been serving the New York area for more than 25 years. We are a family business, and we know our success comes from treating our customers like family too. We choose quality products that we would be proud to use ourselves. Every product in our catalog is in stock now, so we can deliver them fast and we make sure that every product is priced to provide good value. If something isn't right, we make it right. And when our customers need something, we make sure they get it. That's how we treat our family, and that's how we treat our customers.
Our clean and efficient 45,000 square foot warehouse in Congers, NY is ideally situated for super-fast deliveries to the entire New York and New Jersey metro area. For orders placed by 10 AM, we offer same-day delivery on most items right to your job site. Not ready to order by 10 AM? No problem: submit your order by 4 PM, and your order will arrive by 10 AM the next day. That's how we built a reputation in the civil works and construction industries as the people to turn to when you need site supplies and safety equipment fast.
We understand the needs of the local market, and we offer a 100/100 guarantee: All stock items are 100% covered for 100 days. Our huge product range makes us the perfect single sourcing partner. In addition, we support our community through the PowerPak Giving Program.