The RequirementsTo be a good fit for the AR / Collection Clerk opportunity you should have:
- A high school diploma or equivalent; an associate's degree in Accounting or Business Administration preferred.
- At least 4 years of AR and Collections experience.
- Solid computer skills including MS Office Suite applications (e.g. Outlook, Word, Excel); NetSuite experience preferred, or experience with similar accounting / ERP software and the ability to quickly learn NetSuite.
- Outstanding customer service and influencing skills.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills (by phone and email), with the ability to understand questions, find the answers and respond with clarity and precision.
- Ability to effectively manage a busy email inbox.
- The ability to read customers and understand the situation behind the words.
- Strong problem-solving skills with a resourceful attitude and creativity, the ability to trace a problem to the root cause, and consistent follow-through.
- A passion for customer service and willingness to go the extra mile.
- The ability to achieve goals and make decisions autonomously.
- A strong sense of ownership, accountability, and self-motivation.
- A high level of professionalism, including the ability to remain cool under pressure; a strong work ethic.
- High attention to detail.
- Flexibility to learn PowerPaks systems and processes.
The RoleRole Details
Reporting to the Financial Controller, as AR / Collections Clerk, you will be responsible for processing daily cash transactions while monitoring various general ledger accounts. You will assist with financial reporting, process cash receipts and monitor Accounts Receivables, comparing invoices to their sales order, checking taxable status, responding to customer inquiries and more. The majority of your time will be spent on collections (70% to 75%). An aging report will be run daily to help you prioritize your work.
Specifically, your responsibilities will include:
- Inputting daily cash receipts into the system; monitoring and reconciling related general ledger accounts.
- Processing daily cash transactions.
- Making a minimum of 250 - 300 weekly AR/Collections calls.
- Researching and resolving customer queries and preparing customer credits.
- Researching and resolving any sales tax questions on invoices.
- Completing daily invoicing and reconciling invoices to sales orders.
- Doing daily credit requests.
- Updating and maintaining accounting journals/ledgers; detailing financial business transactions.
- Checking and clearing your inbox and emails throughout the day.
You will work with construction industry clients ranging from Mom & Pop shops to government agencies to large corporations. Regardless of the customer, you will take a "customer first" approach, being assertive but not pushy. You will protect the relationship, getting payment without threats. It's a fine line that you'll need to walk, requiring a good deal of emotional intelligence. Only when accounts are severely past due and the account looks like it may never be paid do we become a bit more aggressive in our approach.
Collections work ebbs and flows. If the backlog becomes too great, the AP Clerk, who backs up AR operations, will step up and help you. On an as needed basis, we also hire temps.
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
Pictured: Orders are delivered with a cookie in order to add a personal touch focused on the customer.
More Good ReasonsRapid growth
We are a small, thriving business, and when we say we're growing rapidly, we're not exaggerating. We've gone from less than 10 employees to more than 40 in less than four years! And, we're showing no signs of slowing! We expect revenue to double this year, which will have a direct impact on accounting!
Everyone at PowerPak is responsible for and committed to exceptional customer service. It's built into our business model and it helps set us apart from the competition. Even in collections, you will ensure we deliver on that commitment to service.
Maximize your potential
Of course, you will learn about our business and gain insights into the construction industry. But we're also proactive about helping people identify and build on their strengths in order to reach their professional and personal potential. As the company grows, you can grow along with us. Down the road, you might set your sights on other opportunities within PowerPak.
Unique pro-employee environment
We understand that a great culture is essential to success, and we're proactive about ensuring that people love working here. You'll find a close-knit, family-like atmosphere along with a strong shared commitment to PowerPak goals. We reward people with perks like providing free breakfast and lunch every day. We are remodeling our offices, making them new and ultra-modern.
Autonomy and support
The people who thrive here enjoy the fast pace and the fact that things are constantly changing. We hire competent people, empower them to excel, and then count on them to self-manage. At the same time, there's plenty of support when you need it. For example, your supervisor will be highly involved in your training, She'll guide you and listen in on calls, and conduct one-on-one meetings to go over strengths and gaps in your skillset.
Now -- that's service
Some of the things that give PowerPak an edge:
- Peace of mind with every order, because every item is in stock
- Free cookies with every order
- 5% price guarantee: we'll beat any competitor's published price by 5%
- Free delivery to the jobsite via our own fleet of delivery vans
- Fast turnaround: Order by 10 AM, receive by 4 PM; order by 4 PM, receive by 10 AM the next day.
In addition to a competitive salary and incentives, we offer a benefits package including medical insurance (a choice of two plans) 50% single coverage paid by the company, and vision and dental insurance.
Pictured: Our customers know they can depend on us to have what they need, in stock, today.
Keys to SuccessTo be successful in the role of AR / Collection Clerk, you will need the ability to "read" customers and situations as you pursue repayment. It is critical that you align with our customer service culture as you work to collect while simultaneously protecting the customer relationship.
This is a busy, fast-paced role that will require a variety of skills. The work is very do-able, although the pressure often builds. You will need a calm, professional approach at all times, even when a customer is upset or angry. You'll need to be able to get the facts without letting yourself get upset. It helps if you keep in mind the pressure they are under, and that you are there to provide a solution.
Additionally, to be an outstanding AR / Collections Clerk, you will have:
- The ability to self-manage. You should be resourceful and comfortable making sound decisions on your own.
- The ability to read customers and understand their situation. Some may call this "street smarts."
- The analytical acumen of a detective. In many cases, a customer may believe one thing, but once you've done some investigating you'll find that the situation is actually different.
- Willingness to be highly accountable. Rather than trying to hide a mistake, you'll bring it to the Financial Controller for help in setting things right.
- Understanding when to make independent decisions and when to ask questions or reach out for clarification.
About UsPowerPak Civil & Safety has been serving the New York area for more than 25 years. We are a family business, and we know our success comes from treating our customers like family too. We choose quality products that we would be proud to use ourselves. Every product in our catalog is in stock now, so we can deliver them fast and we make sure that every product is priced to provide good value. If something isn't right, we make it right. And when our customers need something, we make sure they get it. That's how we treat our family, and that's how we treat our customers.
Our clean and efficient 45,000 square foot warehouse in Congers, NY is ideally situated for super-fast deliveries to the entire New York and New Jersey metro area. For orders placed by 10 AM, we offer same-day delivery on most items right to your job site. Not ready to order by 10 AM? No problem: submit your order by 4 PM, and your order will arrive by 10 AM the next day. That's how we built a reputation in the civil works and construction industries as the people to turn to when you need site supplies and safety equipment fast.
We understand the needs of the local market, and we offer a 100/100 guarantee: All stock items are 100% covered for 100 days. Our huge product range makes us the perfect single sourcing partner. In addition, we support our community through the PowerPak Giving Program.